The Charleston Area Branch of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) is hosting a series of programs focusing on Black health and wellness in honor of National Minority Health Month.
Join us for an interactive virtual forum as we define the social factors that impact health and ways we can actively improve health and wellness outcomes for the Black community. Featured panelists are a trio of local healthcare leaders to include Dr. Michael Moxley, Chief Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity Officer at Roper St. Francis Healthcare; Renee Linyard-Gary, Director of Health at Trident United Way; and Dr. Thaddeus J. Bell, Primary Care Physician, Founder of Closing the Gap in Healthcare and renowned community health activist. Program will be hosted by Kimberly Butler Willis, Managing Director of GOODSTOCK Consulting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Program Title: The Black Family-Promoting Health and Wellness
Date: April 10, 2021 via Zoom
Time: Membership Meeting at 1pm; Program at 1:50pm
Membership meeting to be followed by a panel discussion
The Covid-19 pandemic has refocused and reinforced attention on the existence of health disparities for Black Americans. Our panel of health care providers will explore the family based issues, strategies, and actions that impact health and wellness outcomes.
- Thaddeus J. Bell, MD, Closing the Gap in Health Care, Inc.
- Dr. Thaddeus J. Bell is a practicing Family Practice Physician in Charleston, South Carolina. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Medicine and the Founder of Closing the Gap in Health Care, Inc. (CGHC), a non-profit organization created to decrease health disparities by providing health education for African Americans and other under-served populations. Closing the Gap in Health Care radio health tips as well as the website has received National Awards from the National Health Foundation as one the best programs of its kind in the Country in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Paula Orr, MD, Charleston Women’s Wellness Center
- As board-certified GYN, Dr. Paula Orr brings more than 20 years of extensive experience in every aspect of women’s care. Specializing in Gynecology, Minimally Invasive Pelvic Surgery, Advance Gynecologic Laparoscopic Surgery, to alternative medicine and preventative medicine to treat many gynecological ailments, you will find the experience and care that you need. In addition, Dr. Orr and her staff work to treat the total woman, Body, Mind and Spirit. That’s why you will find a relaxing, motivational, and caring environment inside our practice.
- Gwendolyn Harris, PhD, Charleston Branch Program Committee